This delicious BRAVO™ Apple Orchard Cake highlights the warm spice and earthy flavours in this very different apple. Incorporating grated and diced apple in the recipe highlights the BRAVO’s dense but juicy texture. Incorporating wholemeal flour and tahini, the Orchard Cake is a healthier style of cake. The optional garnish of thinly sliced dehydrated BRAVO™ Apple slices makes the most of the striking visual appeal of the apple, intensifying the dark burgundy skin colour and adding even more flavour and visual appeal.
Makes: 2 loaf cakes
300g plain flour
100g wholemeal spelt or wheat flour
¾ tsp bicarbonate of soda
¾ tsp salt
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp ground cardamom
½ tsp ground allspice
1 BRAVO™ apple, peeled and diced
150g unsalted butter, softened
250g caster sugar
3 large eggs
400g BRAVO™ Apples grated with skin on (approx. 2 BRAVO™ Apples )
2 tbsp tahini
2 cups icing sugar
2 tbsp melted butter
3 tbsp apple brandy or apple schnapps
Dried crosscut BRAVO™ Apples slices, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180˚C. Line 2 loaf tins with baking paper.
- Combine the flours, bicarbonate of soda, salt and spices in a bowl. Take a tablespoon of this dry mix and toss through the peeled and diced BRAVO™ apple. Beat the butter and sugar together until creamy and light and then add the eggs one by one until incorporated. Continue to beat in the flour mixture, grated BRAVO™ and tahini until well combined.
- Fold through the dry mix-dusted diced apple with a large spoon before transferring equal quantities into the loaf tins.
- Bake 40 minutes and then reduce temperature to 150˚C for a further 10 minutes until an inserted skewer comes away clean. Place on a wire rack to cool.
- Sift the icing sugar before stirring through the melted butter and apple brandy. Ice the two loaf cakes and garnish with dried crosscut BRAVO™ apple slices.
© Sophie Zalokar